Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
My half-sicilian husband liked these fine, but likes his mother's recipe better. Go figure. Personally, I love the addition of currents and pine nuts and prefer these. :) Use these with your favorite sauce and pasta. I usually double the recipe and use 1 pound of sausage and 1 pound of ground beef. This came originally from the Epicurious website. Prep time and servings are approximate. Hope you enjoy!
- 2⁄3 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 large egg
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage link, casings removed
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Mix crumbs and milk in a medium bowl; let stand for five minutes.
- Mix in parmesan, onion, basil, egg, garlic and pepper.
- Add sausage, pine nuts and currents; blend well.
- Using wet hands, form into 1 1/4 inch balls.
- Place balls on baking sheet, about one inch apart.
- Bake until meatballs are light brown and cooked through, about thirty minutes.