Recipe by DailyInspiration
From Eating Well Magazine.
Top Review by Mia in Germany
Wonderful dish! I've had a recipe for sicilian caponata for ages which I wanted to make - nearly exactly the same as this recipe - and now finally I did it, and we both loved it. Funny thing, because we both neither like celery nor capers LOL I halved the recipe and we ate the whole thing for dinner :) This is a keeper! Thanks for sharing!<br/>Made for For you Consideration
- 2 lbs eggplants, peeled (cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 lb onion, chopped
- 1 lb celery, cliced (1/2 inch thick)
- 1 lb cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄4 cup capers (preferably salt-packed, well rinsed)
- 20 large green olives, pitted (very coarsely chopped)
- 2 fresh red chili peppers, halved (seeded and thinly sliced)
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine eggplant and salt in a large bowl. Transfer to a colander, place a plate on the eggplant and weigh down the plate with cans. Set the colander in the sink to drain for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, heat 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add bay leaves and let sizzle for about 1 minute to flavor the oil. Stir in onions and celery. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft, about 30 minutes; do not let them brown. Add tomatoes and capers, increase heat to medium and cook; stirring occasionally, just until the tomatoes start to break down, about 5 minutes. Stir in olives; transfer everything to a large bowl.
- When the eggplant is ready, rinse under running water to get rid of as much salt as possible. Dry thorougly on paper towels.
- Heat the remaining 1/4 cup oil in the same skillet over medium heat until very hot. Add the eggplant and cook, tossing and stirring, until softened, 10-15 minutes. Add chiles and cook, stirring, until they are softened, 5-10 minutes. Transfer the eggplant and peppers to the bowl with the tomato mixture and gently stir to combine.
- Whisk vinegar and honey in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer until thickened and reduced to about 1/4 cup, about 5 minutes. Stir into the vegetables along with parsley and basil. Serve at room temperature.