Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
Found this tasty dish in a diet pamphlet. Just made a few changes to suit me. I have cut out the salt and upped the vinegar, which might be too strong for some. You can cut the vinegar in half and add some salt without disturbing the outcome too much. I love it just as it is written though.
- 8 cups eggplants, peeled & cubed
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced
- 2 tablespoons roasted garlic (Balsamic Roasted Garlic)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper, crushed
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine ingredients in a oven-proof dish.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes or until eggplant reaches the desired tenderness.
- **If you don't want to use roasted garlic, just minced 1 tbls of fresh garlic.
The first aubergine dish I have prepared myself and enjoyed. The flavour of the vegetable really comes out and as a vinegarholic I didn't find the amount overpowering. used fresh garlic which roasted in the pan wit the other ingredients. Muy rico!
This dish was well received for dinner tonight but I'm not sure the balsamic vinegar complimented the delicate flavor of eggplant. I used fresh garlic and I think the roasted garlic would have been better but I was in a hurry. The eggplant, mushroom and onion is a good combination and I will try it again with the roasted garlic and some change to vinegar component. Thanks for the recipe, always looking for new ways to cook eggplant.