Recipe by Lorac
Comfort food at it's best. An inexpensive main dish for any time of day. Adapted from Gourmet Magazine.
Top Review by Aunt Cookie
I really liked this. It's fast, and you probably already have the ingredients in your kitchen. Next time I'll probably blend half the sauce to make it a little smoother; otherwise, this is great just as it is. Thanks!
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) canspeeled diced tomatoes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup grated romano cheese (about 3 1/2 oz)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped italian flat leaf parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauce: Saute onion in oil in a heavy sauce pan until soft.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, and tomato paste.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, adding water if sauce gets too thick.
- Season with salt, add basil, stir and remove from heat.
- Patties: Mix together all ingredients except oil.
- Heat oil in a 12 inch skillet.
- Working in batches, drop rounded tbls of egg mixture into skillet and cook patties until golden and puffed, about 2 minutes per side.
- Drain on paper towels and adding more oil to skillet as needed.
- To Finish: Add tomato sauce and patties to skillet and simmer turning once for 5 minutes total.