Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
An easy to make, traditional Easter cake that reveals Sicily's Greek religious heritage. Mahlepi or mahleb is a Greek spice found in Greek or Middle Eastern specialty shops or possibly online. You may top the cake with raw white or red dyed eggs....Delicious with espresso ..... Buona Pasqua!
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt (about 1/8 tsp)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground mahlepi (or mahleb)
- 1 eggs or 3 eggs, uncooked
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tsp milk for egg wash
- sliced almonds or colored sprinkles, for sprinkling top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, mahlepi, sugar, and salt.
- Mix eggs, olive oil, milk and vanilla.
- Beat into flour mixture with spoon until satiny.
- Pour batter into 9" greased pie plate or cake pan.
- Top with egg wash and almonds or sprinkles.
- Press egg or eggs in center.
- Bake 55 minutes or so until skewer comes out dry.
- Cool in pan on rack 10 minutes and unmold.