1 hr 5 mins
Chef #1242379's Note:
An easy to make, traditional Easter cake that reveals Sicily's Greek religious heritage. Mahlepi or mahleb is a Greek spice found in Greek or Middle Eastern specialty shops or possibly online. You may top the cake with raw white or red dyed eggs....Delicious with espresso ..... Buona Pasqua!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt (about 1/8 tsp)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground mahlepi (or mahleb)
- 1 eggs or 3 eggs, uncooked
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tsp milk for egg wash
- sliced almonds or colored sprinkles, for sprinkling top
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, mahlepi, sugar, and salt.
- 3Mix eggs, olive oil, milk and vanilla.
- 4Beat into flour mixture with spoon until satiny.
- 5Pour batter into 9" greased pie plate or cake pan.
- 6Top with egg wash and almonds or sprinkles.
- 7Press egg or eggs in center.
- 8Bake 55 minutes or so until skewer comes out dry.
- 9Cool in pan on rack 10 minutes and unmold.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sicilian Easter Bread
Serving Size: 1 (144 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 708.4
- Calories from Fat 298
- Total Fat 33.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 165.0 mg
- Sodium 297.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 25.6 g
- Protein 14.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: