Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a "no bake" variation of a very rich, traditional Italian dessert. Since it uses store bought sponge cake as a base, it is very easy to put together. Prep time does not include overnight refrigeration time.
- 2 lbs ricotta cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ounce maraschino cherries or 1 ounce your favorite flavor liqueur
- 2 tablespoons shredded sweet chocolate or 2 tablespoons miniature chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup chopped candied fruit
- 1 sponge cake, cut into 1 inch slices
- confectioners' sugar (for sifting over unmolded cake)
- Combine ricotta, sugar, vanilla and liqueur in a bowl and blend thoroughly until smooth.
- Add chocolate and fruit; mix well.
- Line the bottom and sides of an 8-inch spring form pan (or a large pan or bowl) with cake slices.
- Turn ricotta mixture into lined mold.
- Cover the top with remaining cake slices.
- Refrigerate overnight, or place in freezer for several hours.
- To serve: If you used a pan or bowl as a mold, invert pan/bowl onto a serving platter, and remove mold.
- Sprinkle (lightly sift) confectioner's sugar over cake.
- If you used a spring form pan, remove sides of pan, leaving cake on the pan bottom, place on serving platter, sift confectioner's sugar over cake.
- Variation: If you prefer, you can frost the cake with sweetened whipped cream flavored with a little almond extract.