Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Lots of flavor, but very healthy, satisfying soup! Came from my grandmother's take of Italian Wedding Soup, give it a try you will enjoy it!!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red chili pepper flakes
- 3 leeks, cleaned and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 carrots, diced
- 5 celery, diced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 3 (14 ounce) cans chicken stock
- 1 (11 ounce) can cannellini beans
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef (prefer chuck)
- 1⁄2 Italian style breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup grated romano cheese
- 1⁄3 cup chopped herbs (parsley and mint work well)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 rotisserie-cooked chicken, shredded without skin
- 1 head chopped escarole
- 2 lemons, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- grated romano cheese, for serving
- Heat oil in large pot. Add chili flakes for 2 minutes. Add leeks, carrots, celery, and garlic; sweat until soft about 12 minutes. Add cans of tomato and chicken stock, bring to simmer.
- Combine beef, breadcrumbs, milk, romano, herbs, eggs, salt and pepper in a bowl. From small meatballs and add to simmering pot, do not stir. Cover and let simmer about 12 minutes.
- In a food processor add beans and water. Add to soup after meatballs simmered. Also add shredded chicken and escarole. Simmer until ready to eat.
- Serve bowls of soup with parsley and zest sprinkled over top, and extra romano if you like.