Recipe by Chef 313014
Herbs, capers and a touch of cinnamon highlight the tomato sauce in which these chicken breasts simmer. Serve with a short pasta such as fusilli or conchiglie to catch the sauce. From Ontario Chicken Lover magazine.
Top Review by Scribbler515
Pretty good recipe. Very unique tasting and smelling b/c of the cinnamon-tomato sauce mixture. Not bad, just very different. I used green olives over capers. Thank you for posting.
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (19 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons capers or 2 teaspoons green olives, chopped
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine basil, oregano, salt and pepper; sprinkle half over both sides of chicken.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken all over, about 4 minutes. Transfer to plate.
- In skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat; cook onion, garlic and remaining basil mixture, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until onion is softened.
- Add tomatoes, breaking up with spoon. Add capers, vinegar and cinnamon; bring to boil.
- Return chicken and any accumulated juices to pan; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.