Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
A cutout from an old cookbook that was falling apart.
for pastry dough (Cannoli)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons soft butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- 10 tablespoons white wine
- oil (for frying)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups scalded milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup candied fruit, finely chopped
- 1 (1 ounce) package semisweet chocolate, grated
- Prepare pastry:.
- Combine flour and salt in mixing bowl.
- Make well in center.
- Add sugar, butter and egg.
- Add wine and stir with fork until liquid is absorbed.
- Turn onto floured board.
- Knead until smooth.
- Divide dough into 4 equal parts.
- Roll on floured surface until 1/16" thick.
- Cut into 3 and 1/2" squares.
- Roll squares, diagonally onto forms (5" long by 1" in diameter cannoli forms or pieces of dowel).
- overlap corners.
- Seal with a little water.
- Heat 3/4" oil in heavy skillet to 375.
- Fry cannolis, 3 at a time, in hot oil.
- When light golden, remove from oil.
- Slip off of forms as soon as cool enough to handle.
- Let cool completely.
- Make filling.
- Combine sugar, flour and salt in top of double boiler.
- Slowly stir in scalded milk.
- Cook over boiling waer until mixture thickens.
- Combine 1 c mixture with eggs, beat well.
- pour mixture back into double boiler.
- Cook, stirring 3 minutes.
- Cool and stir in flavor.
- (Filling must be cold before adding ricotta.).
- Beat ricotta and powdered sugar until ricotta is smooth.
- Fold in custard, fruit and chocolate.
- With small spatula, fill cannoli, carefully packing filling.
- Refrigerate until serving time.
- Shells can be made ahead, frozen and filled as needed.