Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Insalata del Rinforzo Its Italian name indicates that it is quite energizing (rinforzo means "reinforcement," as in nourishment.)
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup pitted black olives, minced
- 1⁄4 cup capers, drained
- 1⁄4 cup gherkin, minced (sour baby pickles)
- 1 tablespoon minced Italian parsley
- 4 anchovies, chopped
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, shelled and minced
- Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Drop in the cauliflower florets and 2 tablespoons of the salt; cook until tender-crisp, about 3 minutes, then drain and shock in ice water; drain again.
- Place the cauliflower florets in a bowl. Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, the vinegar, olive oil, pepper, olives, capers, gherkins, parsley, and anchovies, and set aside to marinate, tossing once in a while, for 1 hour to 6 hours at room temperature.
- Sprinkle with the hard-boiled eggs and enjoy. Serves 6.
I very much enjoyed this salad. I was afraid it would be a bit too salty (olives, capers, and anchovies can do that sometimes), but the mild flavor of the cauliflower and egg really need such strong flavors, I think. I followed the directions pretty closely, and I thought the cauliflower was cooked a perfect amount. Thanks for sharing!