Prep 4 hrs
Cook 15 mins
This is a traditional Sicilian cake which is served at birthdays, weddings and Easter. This recipe was posted as a request, but sounds delicious. I will be trying it soon myself! (prep time include chilling time)
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons liqueur (rum or Amaretto)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons candied fruit, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup chopped nuts (pecans or almonds)
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg yolks; adding sugar gradually.
- Add butter.
- Sift dry ingredients and add alternately with milk; mix.
- Add vanilla and mix.
- Fold in beaten egg whites.
- Pour batter into greased and floured 10X16-inch jelly roll pan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- DO NOT over bake as it will not roll.
- Turn out onto a clean dish towel sprinkled thickly with powdered sugar.
- Trim off all edges with a knife.
- Roll the cake in a towel and let stand a few minutes.
- While you let the cake, prepare the filling.
- Put ricotta cheese through a sieve to remove all lumps.
- Add cream, sugar, cinnamon and liqueur and beat until smooth.
- Fold in candied fruit, nuts and chocolate chips.
- Unroll the towel and spread with filling.
- Reroll and refrigerate for 4 hours to"ripen".
- Slice when ready to serve, sprinkle with powdered sugar.