From Fabulous Fat-Free Cooking. This savory pizza turnover makes a terrific dinner, just serve with a tossed salad.
- 4 ounces frozen French bread dough, thawed
- 2 cups chopped spinach, leave blanched, drained, and squeezed dry
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon scallion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon shredded fat free mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce, with Italian seasonings
- Position the oven rack in the lower third of oven. Preheat oven to 425°F.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll the dough into a 10-inch circle. Cover and let rest while making the filling.
- In a medium bowl, combine the spinach tomatoes, ricotta, scallions, basil, oregano, garlic, pepper, and salt.
- Spoon the mixture over half of the dough circle to within 1/2-inch of the edge.
- Fold the dough over the filling to close, crimping the edges to seal.
- With a large spatula, transfer the calzone to a baking sheet or to a baking stone in the oven.
- Sprinkle the top with the mozzarella.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the crust browns.
- Cut in half.
- Heat the tomato sauce and serve with the calzone.