Recipe by chang2301
Sichuan Province of China is one of the largest province in China, and the home of most savory and spicy food in the world. The most famous Sichuan dish is probably Mapo Tofu, a bold, spicy, and distinctive tofu cuisine. The Sichuan cuisine is famous for its bold combination with Sichuan peppercorn, garlic, peanuts, sesame, ginger, and chili pepper, etc, together they have created more than thousands of delicious dish. But today we are not going to teach you a traditional, super-spicy Sichuan cuisine, but a mild, flavorful spicy orange beef. This special beef cuisine perfectly balance the spicy taste of chili pepper and the sweetness of the orange, making it a different choice for everyone who would like to enjoy the Sichuan style cuisine.
Top Review by Muffin Goddess
This was excellent! I used just under 2lbs of sliced flank steak for the beef, so I basically doubled the recipe. I threw in some baby Bella mushrooms, too. I didn't have potato starch, so I used 1 tablespoon of cornstarch mixed with an equal measure of cold water, then briefly brought everything back to a boil after mixing the cornstarch slurry in. I also couldn't find any bird's-eye chilies, so I used some Serrano chiles instead. Spicy, savory, tender, and delicious! I made a pot of Chinese-style sticky rice to go with this, and DH and I nearly finished everything! DH happily ate two big platefuls of this, which he only does when he really likes something, so this definitely got his 2 thumbs up, lol. Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Fall '12
- 3 hot chili peppers (This is not the usual chili pepper in the supermarket. It is smaller and spicier.)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 orange, zest of
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot
- 500 g beef
- 1⁄2 cup broth
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon orange, liqueuer
- 1 tablespoon honey
- potato starch
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the carrot, chili pepper, garlic, and orange zests. Set aside.
- Add oil into the pot and heat the oil. Add pepper, garlic and orange zest into the pot and stir fry for 4 minutes.
- Add the carrot and beef and stir fry for about 2 minutes to brown the beef.
- Add the water, broth, soy sauce, honey, and orange liqueur. Give it a good stir.
- Bring to boil and turn the heat into low. Cook for a hour. (You can check the softness of the beef for yourself and decide the cooking time. If you would like to have a softer beef then you should cook for more than an hour.).
- Mix the potato starch and water in a small bowl and add the mixture into the pot for another stir.
- Serve with rice, bread, or noodle. You can also take it as a main dish.