1/1 Photo of Sichuan Stir-Fried Pork in Garlic Sauce(Cook's Illustrated)
If Chinese black vinegar is unavailable, substitute 2 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar and 2 teaspoons of rice vinegar. If Asian broad-bean chili paste is unavailable, substitute 2 teaspoons of Asian chili-garlic paste or Sriracha sauce. Serve with steamed white rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons chinese black vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon chinese rice wine or 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 12 ounces country-style boneless pork ribs, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons chinese rice wine or 2 teaspoons dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 11. Whisk all sauce ingredients together in bowl. Set aside.
- 22. Cut pork into 2” lengths and then cut each length into 1/4” matchsticks. Combine pork with baking soda and water in bowl. Let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- 33. Rinse pork in cold water. Drain well and pat dry with paper towels. Whisk rice wine and cornstarch in bowl. Add pork and toss to coat.
- 44. For the stir fry, combine garlic, scallion whites, chili paste in bowl.
- 55. Heat 1 tbsp oil in large non stick pan over high heat until just smoking. Add mushrooms and cook stirring frequently until tender, 4 minutes. Add water chestnuts and cook for additional 2 to 4 minutes until tender. Transfer vegetables to separate bowl.
- 66. Add remaining 3 tbsp oil to pan and place over medium low heat. Add garlic scallion mixture and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Transfer 1 tbsp garlic scallion oil to small bowl and set aside. Add pork to skillet and cook until no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes. Whisk sauce to recombine and add to skillet. Increase heat to high and cook stirring constantly until thickened and pork cooked thru, 1 to 2 minutes. Return vegetables to skillet and combine. Transfer to platter, sprinkle with scallion greens and reserved garlic scallion oil and serve.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sichuan Stir-Fried Pork in Garlic Sauce(Cook's Illustrated)
Serving Size: 1 (239 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 457.0
- Calories from Fat 201
- Total Fat 22.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 62.9 mg
- Sodium 1253.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 22.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
garlic and red chile paste