Recipe by The Obvious Cook
This recipe is so delicious with a little kick! The fresher the shrimp the better. Enjoy!
- 1 lb large shrimp, not more than 24 to a pound
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons shaoxing cooking wine (or rice wine)
- 1 tablespoon mashed and finely minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon mashed and finely minced ginger
- 1⁄2 of a green onion, thinly sliced
- 3 -6 hot red chili peppers
- 1 teaspoon hot chili paste (optional)
- 5 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon shaoxing cooking wine
- 10 spears asparagus, cut off whole tips, 1-inch steep diagonal cut
- 1 stalk celery, cut in thin diagonal slices
- 1 good size bamboo shoot, cut in long thin slices
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 1 dash toasted sesame oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil a quart of water in your wok.
- Immerse all the veggies and boil rapidly until they each peak color brightness.
- Immediately strain out into a bowl and set aside. Or you can do them in your microwave.
- Put 5 tablespoons of oil into wok. Get it smoking hot and stir the shrimp until it is pink and done. This shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes - it all depends on the horsepower of your stove.
- Put onto plate and discard all excess oil and quickly clean the wok.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in wok . Get it smoking hot and toss in the hot peppers. Cook them for a minute, at most, until you are getting good whiffs of cooking chili.
- Add the other seasonings and stir for 15-20 seconds.
- Add the sauce and stir to mix. Add back in the shrimp and veggies. Stir until you are sure it is all reheated.
- Give a quick dash of toasted sesame oil, then a quick stir.
- Pour onto a nice plate of white rice.