Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Yes--the name is spelled correctly. This is a sweet and spicy dish that when performed correctly will have you licking the bowl when finished. This is the dish I refer to in my profile about not getting correct and being oh so frustrated--by jove I think I got it!
- 2 -3 chicken breasts
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice wine or 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄3 cups chicken stock
- 5 -10 dried chilies (seeds removed)
- cooked rice
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil or 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Cut up chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Whisk the egg white, cornstarch, and salt until light and fluffy then add the chicken.
- While the chicken is sitting, in a large deep pan add the hoisin, brown sugar, rice wine, rice vinegar, and chicken stock then let it simmer and reduce.
- Now use a food processor or mortar and pestle to really grind up the dried chillies.
- In a frying pan add the oil and then the chillies. Once the chillies have cooked for about a minute, add garlic and the chicken mixture.
- Cook the chicken until there is no more pink in the center and is thus done.
- Add the chicken to the sauce mixture and cook the whole thing until the sauce is sticky.
- Serve over cooked rice.