Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a popular Nigerian dessert. Untested by me, posted for ZWT III, from allrecipes.com.
Make and share this Shuku Shuku (Nigerian Coconut Balls) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄4 cup caster sugar or 1⁄4 cup superfine sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup self-raising flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, mix together the coconut, sugar and egg yolks to form a stiff dough. Squeeze into 1 inch balls, and roll each ball in flour to coat.
- Place on a baking sheet, spacing about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden.
I had a couple of egg yolks left after making meringues, and found this to be the ideal recipe to use them in, quick, simple and delicious as well,,,can't go wrong.
Wonderful! Followed the recipe exactly and they came out great -- they tasted a lot like macaroons. Delicious!
I made this exactly as written and it was excellent! I used the recommended 1/4 cup sugar (ran regular sugar through my food processor till powdery). They weren't real sweet, which is nice for a change, and allowed the coconut to really shine through! Added crushed, slivered almonds to the second batch, which turned out to be an excellent touch! Great with tea or coffee!