Recipe by Rashmi_tr
It is good way to eat veggies with low carb & low fat content. It is very popular dish in Bengal, goes with rice.
- 50 g bitter melons (melon)
- 100 g raw papayas, peeled
- 2 pieces raw bananas, peeled
- 100 g pumpkin, peeled
- 100 g eggplants (aubergine)
- 1 piece medium sized potato, peeled
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon panch phoron (equal part of Black mustard, fennel, fenugreek, nigella seeds & cumin)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed paste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon rice bran or 1 tablespoon refined oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 500 ml water
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice all vegetables in inch long pieces. wash & keep aside in water as raw banana turns black when in direct contact with air.
- Heat Oil in wok/pan. Add panch phoron. As soon as it splutters, add ginger paste. After a minute, add cumin powder. Add all vegetables, stir for 5 minutes. Add salt to taste & poppy seed paste. Stir and pour water. Bring to boil, sim and cover the pan slightly.
- Keep stirring & checking in between for vegetables to be cooked completely. As soon as the vegetables are done(test by taking a piece each and mash/slice with spoon wihtout any difficulty), add sugar. The gravy should not be very thick. Remove from gas oven and serve with rice(brown).