Prep 192 hrs
Cook 10 mins
Shrubb is a rum based drink/liqueur. If you have a week to follow the steps, try this liqueur recipe.
- 1 quart white rum
- 5 oranges, zest of
- 1 pint water
- 2 lbs unbleached cane sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 vanilla bean
- Take the zest from 5 oranges, and let this dry for 5 days.
- When they are dry, macerate them in rum for 3 days, leaving the jar used outdoors in light sun (semi-shade).
- Filter this liquid.
- Make a syrup with the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and the vanilla bean. (Slit the vanilla bean to release full flavor into the syrup.).
- Bring this to the boil, lower the heat, but keep it bubbling away for 10 - 15 minutes. Skim the surface frequently.
- Let the syrup cool.
- Add the syrup to the filtered rum. Filter this, and bottle it, or pour it into a large, clean juice jar with a lid.
- This recipe will yield about 75cl, the same volume as a bottle of wine.