1 hr 10 mins
The name of this pie is said to come from the fact that it was originally "fitched" or five-sided in shape.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 3 slices sweetcure ham, de-rinded and cut into strips
- 1 1/2 ounces butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- salt and black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 pint pork stock or 1/4 pint vegetable stock
- 8 ounces prepared shortcrust pastry
- milk or beaten egg, to glaze
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or Mark 4.
- 2Lightly fry the sliced potatoes, onions and apples in the butter until just golden.
- 3Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- 4Place the ham in the pan and fry lightly in the remaining fat.
- 5Layer the ham and the potatoes, onions and apples in a 1 1/2 to 2 pint pie dish, seasoning with sugar, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- 6Pour on the stock.
- 7On a lightly floured surface roll out the pastry and cover the pie, trimming the edges.
- 8Make a steam hole and decorate with the trimmings.
- 9Brush with milk or beaten egg to glaze.
- 10Bake for 30 minutes, then reduce oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit or mark 3 for a further 10 to 15 minutes, until the pie is golden brown.
- 11Traditionally this pie is not served with vegetables, but carrots or cabbage can be served if desired.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shropshire Fidget Pie
Serving Size: 1 (252 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 580.0
- Calories from Fat 267
- Total Fat 29.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 33.8 mg
- Sodium 543.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 14.2 g
- Protein 9.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: