Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
These delicious, light and creamy souffle puddings are fail safe and stress free. Cooked twice guarantees they won't fall and making them ahead of time and popping them into the oven twenty minutes before serving takes away any worry! A great appetizer!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 4 ounces shropshire blue cheese or 4 ounces other top quality blue cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus shavings for garnish
- 8 large egg yolks (at room temperature)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 10 large egg whites (at room temperature)
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- chopped fresh chives, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350*F. Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add the flour. Stir constantly until completely incorporated. Slowly stir in half and half.
- Cook, stirring with a wire whisk for about 2 minutes, until thickened and smooth. Add the Parmesan and Blue Cheese and stir until melted. Remove from heat and beat in the egg yolks one at a time. Transfer to a large bowl and season. (the mixture should be slightly overseasoned).
- Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar to soft peaks. Carefully fold egg whites into the cheese mixture. Divide amongst 8 buttered 4 X 2 1/2 inch ramekins, filling them to about 1/4 inch from the top. Place the filled ramekins in a shallow roasting pan. Pour in enough hot water to come 3/4 inch up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until the tops are set and brown. Remove from the water bath and let cool to room temperature. (at this point the puddings can be kept at room temperature for several hours or covered in plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
- To serve, preheat the oven to 400*F. Run a knife around the edges of the puddings. Gently unmold each one onto the palm of your hand and then place right side up on a greased ovenproof dish. Drizzle 1 TBS cream over the top of each souffle. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cream is slightly browned and bubbly. Garnish with parmesan shavings and chopped chives to serve.