2 hrs 10 mins
A tasty vegetarian lasagna. Tofu is used instead of ricotta cheese here, but you can easily use ricotta instead.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 16 ounces mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley, divided
- 32 ounces silken tofu
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups parmesan cheese, shredded
- 8 -16 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 18 lasagna noodles
- 1In a heavy pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Brown for 10 minutes.
- 2Add the mushrooms, tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, red pepper flakes, fennel seed, basil, thyme, oregano, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of the black pepper along with 1 tablespoon of the parsley. Gently stir, cover, and let simmer over low heat for 1 hour.
- 3While the sauce is cooking, put the tofu in large bowl. Add the eggs, nutmeg, and rest of parsley & black pepper. Combine well to break up the tofu so you end up with something that looks like ricotta cheese. Set aside.
- 4Now just soak the lasagna noodles in a large pan filled with very hot water for at least 15 minutes.
- 5Once the sauce is cooked, construct the lasagna in a deep 9x3-inch pan. First, spread 2 cups of the sauce on the bottom of the pan. Lay 6 noodles down. Spread half of the tofu mixture over the noodles, then sprinkle that with 1/3 of the mozzeralla and parmasan.
- 6Make another layer in the same way: sauce, then noodles, then tofu, then cheese. After that, lay down the rest of the lasagna noodles on top. Spread any remaining sauce over the noodles, then sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- 7Cover with foil, and bake in a preheated oven at 350F for 30 minutes. Remove the foil, then bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, then let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shroomivore's Tofu Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (332 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 357.3
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 56.9 mg
- Sodium 1418.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 11.2 g
- Protein 21.3 g