1/1 Photo of Shrimps With Bell Peppers and Cheese Sauce
It's easy and tasty! It's slightly different from the usual shrimp recipes. I felt like a light cheesy sauce, and this is what developed. Prep time does not include time perhaps needed for cleaning shrimps.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs large shrimp, headless (1 kg)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili pepper flakes, dried, hot
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- oil (for frying)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk (250 ml)
- 2 cups mild cheese, grated (I used Tilsiter and a young, mild Pecorino)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1Start with the shrimps: depending on how you bought them, they might need picking over or peeling. Try to keep tails on. Rinse well.
- 2Remove seeds and ribs from bell peppers and cut flesh into bite-sized pieces. Peel and chop the onion. (Use any colour bell peppers you have).
- 3Use a wok over a high flame: it's easiest. Fry the onions and peppers in oil, stirring often, until they are soft and "reduced" and threatening to burn - about 20 minutes. During the frying, sprinkle in the dried hot pepper flakes.
- 4The wok should be quite hot at this stage, so add all the cleaned shrimps in one go. You might have to add more oil.
- 5Stir, moving the shrimps around, until they have all become pinky white and curled up.
- 6(If you feel the wok would be too crowded, remove the pepper-onion mixture to a bowl, add a little more oil, heat well, and then cook the shrimps on their own).
- 7Don't overcook the shrimps. While they're cooking, add the fish and oyster sauce, and the lime or lemon juice.
- 8When shrimps are cooked, take wok off heat. If you removed the pepper-onion mixture, stir back into shrimps.
- 9In another medium pot, whisk the flour into the milk, put over a high heat, and keep whisking until milk boils and thickens a little.
- 10Remove from heat, and stir in the cheese until it melts and the sauce is smooth. (Cheese do not like being boiled). Stir in the nutmeg, garlic and salt.
- 11Add this cheese sauce to the shrimp mixture and fold in well.
- 12Remove to an oven dish, cover, and keep warm until needed. You could garnish it with snipped spring onions or chives.
- 13Nice served with brown basmati rice. I also cooked chopped green beans to which I added 1 wheel, crumbled, of feta cheese.
- 14*The cheese: I used two mild cheeses; felt as if cheddar would be too strong. Use whatever you have, or cheese bits you need to use up.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimps With Bell Peppers and Cheese Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (409 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 325.2
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 354.1 mg
- Sodium 1421.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 49.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: