Recipe by Papa D 1946-2012
Posting for ZWT6 Greece region. Adapted from a recipe found on allrecipes.com. With a small alteration of adding pasta you can turn this dish into a delicious seafood pasta dish.
- 1 lb medium shrimp
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 (8 ounce) package feta cheese, cubed
- salt and pepper or cavender's all purpose Greek seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring about 2 inches of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the shrimp, the water should just cover them. Boil for 5 minutes, then drain, reserving the liquid, and set aside.
- Heat about 2 tablespoons of oil in a saucepan. Add the onions and cook until the onions are soft, during the last minute stir in minced garlic. Mix in the parsley, wine, tomatoes, 1/2 cup of reserved shrimp water, seasonings and remaining olive oil. Simmer over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- While the sauce is simmering, and the shrimp are cool enough to handle, peel off the shells and tails.
- When the sauce is thickened, stir in the shrimp. Bring to a simmer, and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the feta cheese and remove from the heat. Let stand until the cheese starts to melt.
- Serve warm over your favorite pasta.