Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: This is my seafood rendition of a traditional Shepherds or Cottage Pie. I have replaced the meat with shrimp, and it is scrumptious! I have always thought that seafood and potatoes were a wonderful combination and this dish will prove it. It is like having seafood chowder with the addition of creamy mashed potatoes, how can you go wrong with that?
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄3 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup cooked corn
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seafood seasoning such as Old Bay Seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup alfredo sauce
- 1 lb large shrimp, thawed if frozen, peeled, tails removed, deveined, halved horizontally (about 20)
- 1 (8 ounce) box Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes, stirred to soften them a bit
- 2 -3 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375'.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium high heat. Add the onion, carrot, red pepper, and garlic; saute for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the corn, thyme, seafood seasoning and flour, whisk for one minute, then whisk in the chicken broth and Alfredo sauce. Add the shrimp to the mixture and pour the whole thing into a 9 inch pie plate or casserole dish. To make the potatoes easier to spread, place them in a medium bowl and add a little chicken stock to them, whip them until you reach desired consistency. Spread the mashed potatoes over the top of the shrimp mixture. Bake for 30 minutes, during the last 10 minutes of baking time, add the grated Parmesan cheese to the top of the pie.