Recipe by PennyG
This is from the LooneySpoons cookbook by Greta and Janet Podleski. One of my favourite low-fat cookbooks. I have to admit I was a bit skeptical about shrimp and feta together but this really delicious. Hope you like it too.
Top Review by Elly in Canada
This was really good! I have not made it yet, but my friend served this dish at a luncheon recently as an appetizer (omit the rice)along with a basket of crusty baguette slices. Combination of flavours was great!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups zucchini, sliced
- 28 ounces tomatoes, drained and cut up (canned)
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 cup feta, crumbled (2 ounces)
- 3 cups white rice or 3 cups brown rice, cooked
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large skillet or saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic.
- Cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add zucchini and cook for 5 more minutes, until zucchini is softened.
- Add tomatoes, wine, oregano, black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, and salt.
- Bring to a Boil.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp and feta cheese.
- Increase heat to Med-high.
- Cook until shrimp turns pink, about 5 minutes.
- Stir often.
- Serve over hot, cooked rice.