Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Good side dishes would be sautéed spinach and rice pilaf.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 ounces mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (2-3 cloves)
- 2 tablespoons ouzo
- 2 tablespoons dry vermouth (or dry white wine)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb shrimp, peeled
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- salt and pepper
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until tender, then add the garlic and cook about 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Remove from heat, add the Ouzo and Vermouth, then return to heat and stir, allow some of the liquid to evaporate.
- After liquid has evaporated, add the parsley, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and sugar.
- Simmer the sauce, uncovered, over medium-low heat for approximately 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the shrimp to the sauce and cover the pan. Cook shrimp until they turn pink and opaque white, about 5-10 minutes. (Since these cook quickly, be sure to have your side dishes ready before you add the shrimp.).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, keeping in mind that the Feta can often be salty.
- Add the Feta either in the pan if you want it to melt a bit, or add to the plates as garnish.