Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is no ordinary shrimp dip. the sauce is a zesty blend of diced tomatoes, worcestershire sauce, paprika and garlic, spiked with a touch of vodka. This recipe was created with the popular Bloody Mary drink in mind. Taking the ingredients I like in the drink, adding some consistency to the blend with the canned diced tomatoes and bottled chili sauce. Although the seasoning and tapatio lend a bit of heat, it doesn't overpower the other flavors. Serve in mini martini shot glasses gives your guests a personal and unique appetizer. Great for entertaining Shrimp and sauce can be made 1 day ahead. Cook time does not include chill time.
- 2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice (Fresh squeezed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb shelled deveined uncooked medium-large shrimp
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced tomatoes and green chilies, well-drained
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon jalapeno seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon regular paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon tapatio hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons peppar vodka, if desired (can use regular)
- Freeze a stainless steel bowl while preparing the shrimp and sauce.
- In medium saucepan, combine water, wine, vinegar, lemon juice, red pepper flakes and salt; bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat. Add shrimp; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Strain; place shrimp in ice chilled bowl to cool. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Place all sauce ingredients except vodka in food processor or blender; process until sauce is almost smooth. Stir in vodka. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes. (Shrimp and sauce can be prepared up to 1 day ahead.) Serve shrimp with sauce.