Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This was printed in the R.S.V.P. section of a March 1982 Bon Appetit. The recipe was requested from the House of Hunan in Terre Haute,Indiana.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon shaohsing rice wine or 1 teaspoon sherry wine
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vinegar
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 12 jumbo shrimp, shelled and deveined (about 1 lb.)
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 4 ounces snow peas
- 4 ounces water chestnuts, diced
- 12 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked 20 minutes in hot water, drained, patted dry, stemmed and cut into thirds
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cornstarch, salt and sugar in small bowl.
- Add water,wine,garlic,sesame oil,vinegar and pepper and mix well.
- Heat vegetable oil in wok or large skillet over high heat.
- Add pine nuts and fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to small bowl using slotted spoon.
- Add shrimp and carrots to wok and stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add snow peas,water chestnuts and mushrooms and stir fry about 3 minutes.
- Drain off any excess oil.
- Restir cornstarch mixture and add to wok.
- Cook, stirring, until sauce is thickened,about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to heated platter, sprinkle with pine nuts and serve.