1/2 Photos of Shrimp With Hot Sauce, Szechuan Style
Sue Lau's Note:
I've had this recipe many times, varying the vegetable with my mood and with what I had on hand. A little hot oil added to the dish is also a nice touch. Adapted from a recipe by Rose Cheng. In the posted pic, I was in the mood for even more vegetables, so I doubled the sauce when I added those (very easy to do). In that one, besides the carrots, I also used shiitake mushrooms, scallions, bok choy, and bean sprouts. Use whatever types and amounts of veggies you like, just cook them crisp-tender.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb fresh shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil (total amount approximate)
- 8 dried hot red chili peppers
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 carrot, sliced thinly
For Seasoning Sauce
- 1Stir together ingredients for the seasoning sauce in a small bowl and keep near the cooking area.
- 2Stir together the cornstarch and water in a small dish and keep near the cooking area.
- 3Heat small amount of oil in wok or large skillet.
- 4Add shrimp and stir-fry until they just turn pink and start to curl; remove from pan and set aside.
- 5Add a little oil to pan (if needed) and heat.
- 6Add dried peppers and garlic to pan and cook just until you start to smell them; do not allow to burn.
- 7Add the carrots and cook for 1- 1 1/2 minutes.
- 8Return the shrimp to the pan and toss with the carrots.
- 9Re-stir contents of seasoning bowl and add to pan.
- 10Quickly stir all ingredients.
- 11Re-stir the cornstarch and water slurry and add to the pan.
- 12Stir mixture and cook until sauce thickens and shrimp are coated with sauce.
- 13Remove from heat and serve with steamed rice (if desired).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp With Hot Sauce, Szechuan Style
Serving Size: 1 (315 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 282.3
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 172.8 mg
- Sodium 1716.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 26.2 g