Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Not as spicy as you'd think! The depth of flavors in the curry paste is outstanding. You can also use the curry paste and coconut milk with chicken or beef. Source: Chef Brian Patterson
Green Curry Paste
- 2 stalks lemongrass, finely julienned
- 1 tablespoon galangal, minced (can sub ginger)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- 8 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 10 Thai green chili
- 10 green jalapenos
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 lb peeled deveined shrimp
- 1⁄4 cup fish sauce
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup bamboo shoot (can also add other veggies as desired)
- 1⁄2 cup coconut cream
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
- 1⁄4 cup Thai basil, packed
- slivered Thai red chili pepper (to garnish, or julienned bell pepper strips)
- To make curry paste: Place all ingredients in blender, food processor, or mortar and process until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour coconut milk and green curry paste into large sauce pan.
- Heat to boiling, add fish sauce and sugar.
- Cook for 5 minutes at a low boil.
- Add bamboo shoots and any other vegetables, creabmeat, or mushrooms as desired.
- Add coconut cream and simmer 3-5 minutes until shrimp is cooked through.
- Add lime leaves and basil, adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve in individual bowls, garnished with slivers of red chiles.
Yes, it does taste exactly like takeout. So impressive! I followed the recipe (using all 20 of the peppers) but I de-seeded half of them. Using only half the paste was the perfect ratio to the coconut milk, and I saved the other half for green curry another night. I also only used half the fish sauce as well. Yummy Yummy Yummy! This was real authentic thai curry.
This is the flavor I was looking for but never expected to get. It is at least as good as the curry at the out-of-the-way restaurant that I go to just for this. I made this with chicken, but the important thing about this recipe is the sauce. I followed the recipe exactly EXCEPT I used only 10 chilies because we tend to be quite sensitive to spicy food. Actually, I would add 3 or 4 more if I were the only one eating. Thank you Tracy. You're right, it's outstanding.