Recipe by Leslie in Texas
I originally got this recipe from the food section of the Houston chronicle. We like it because it's quick and easy to make, is fairly low calorie and low fat and VERY tasty!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shrimp, shelled and deveined
- coarse salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 leeks, washed well and cut into 1/2 inch wide strips
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup dry couscous
- 1 cup frozen baby peas, thawed
- 2 cups boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet heat 1 T of oil over medium heat.
- Add the shrimp, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Saute', tossing, until just cooked through, about three minutes.
- Remove from pan with a slotted spoon.
- Add remaining 1 T oil to the pan along with the mustard seeds and cook until the seeds begin to pop, about 30 seconds.
- Add the leeks, carrots, and garlic.
- Cook, stirring often, until the leeks are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the couscous, peas, and water.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and cover.
- Let stand 5 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed and the couscous is tender.
- Add the shrimp and stir gently.
- Serve immediately.