Recipe from "The Vanilla Chef" written by Patricia Rain (The Vanilla Queen.) You can find this and more at www.vanilla.com. This is a very rich dish based on a Tahitian recipe. You can use light coconut milk or substitute evaporated milk for the cream if you wish to lighten the recipe some.
- Peel and clean shrimp, keeping tails on. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan or wok. Saute the shrimp for two to three minutes and or until they have turned pink.
- Remove them from the pan and set aside. Remove the balance of olive oil from pan.
- Add rum and the vanilla bean to the frying pan and reduce the rum until it is nearly evaporated (down to about 2 tablespoons).
- Add the cream and coconut milk, and reduce the mixture by 50%. Scrape seeds out of the vanilla pod and discard pod. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Shrimp can either be mixed into the sauce and served or mounded on a rice pilaf and the sauce poured over all. Garnish with lemon wedges and parsley.