Recipe by Buster's friend
Adapted by those food mavens at The Tmes-Picayune from "Al Roker's Big Bad Book of Barbecue," this recipe makes 2 cups of pesto, enough for up to 4 pounds of seafood or chicken, and it's great on vegetables, too.
- 1 1⁄3 cups cilantro leaves, packed
- 3⁄4 cup mint leaf, packed
- 1⁄2 cup virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice, fresh (from 2 limes, lemons OK too)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed and seeded
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 4 lbs shrimp, fresh (frozen OK)
Directions See How It's Made
- For the pesto: Combine all pesto ingredients in the work bowl of a food processor blender, and process until pureed. Use immediately, or cover and store in the refrigerator for up to two days.
- For the shrimp: Toss the shelled shrimp with the pesto in a shallow, nonreactive pan. Each shrimp should be well coated. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Prepare a charcoal grill or preheat a gas grill for direct grilling over high heat.
- Remove shrimp from pan and discard the marinade. Grill shrimp for 2 to 3 minutes per side.