Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is a southern style shrimp dish. It's very good!
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup diced bacon
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced onion
- shredded cheddar cheese, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan,bring chicken broth and milk to a boil.
- Stir in grits and salt;return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cover.
- Cook 5 minutes until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cheddar cheese.
- Keep warm.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp.
- Remove bacon and set aside.
- Drain all but 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings from skillet.
- Add shrimp, peppers and onions;cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender and shrimp is no longer pink.
- Stir in bacon.
- Serve shrimp mixture over warm cheese grits.
- Garnish with cheddar cheese.
This satisfied my craving. Thanks!
Oh my, was this good!! I added some garlic and a splash of white wine to the shrimp as I was cooking it and it was wonderful. This dish is really nice for company but it's also good southern comfort food.
This was my first experience cooking grits and it came out beautifully. I did not have milk so I<br/>subbed heavy cream, with a little extra chicken stock to cut the richness a bit. Skipped the bell pepper and swapped a thinly sliced shallot for the onion since it was what I had on hand. This dish is so incredibly rich, flavorful, and comforting on a cold, snowy evening in the Midwest. I will definitely make this again switching shrimp out with more veggies so my husband who hates seafood can enjoy it too. I feel like this would be tasty with fresh cut corn tossed in and some fresh parsley. Thank you for sharing this inspiring southern dish.