Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Recipe source: local newspaper which reprinted recipe from Ismail Merchant
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (or other spicy mustard)
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of, only
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 lb broccoli, large stems discarded and crowns divided into florets
- 1 lb large shrimp, cleaned and peeled
- In a wok or large skillet heat the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add mustard seeds and cook for 30 seconds or until seeds pop.
- Add green onion and garlic to wok and stir for a few seconds.
- Add mustard, lemon juice, salt and cayenne pepper and cook stirring until smooth and then add 2 tablespoons water, stirring to combine.
- Add broccoli to wok and cover and cook for 3-5 minutes and then add shrimp.
- Cover and cook an additional 3-5 minutes or until broccoli is crisp tender and shrimp is done.
I would cut down on the cayenne pepper. It's so overpowering that it's hard to taste the other flavors.
Thoroughly enjoyed these flavors. My only recommendation is to turn the heat down to medium at step 5. The sauce is easily burned and sticks quite well to the wok by the end of step 6. Surprising and definitely repeatable.
Wonderful recipe! I also halved it. The mustard flavor was a bit dominant (for me), as would be expected from just reading the ingredients I suppose! I will use less next time. Very nice change of pace to have the mustard flavor in a stirfry though. Also, VERY quick and easy! Thanks so much for the recipe! <3