Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Quick and delicious, satisfies my desire for Shrimp, Okra and Grits without all the calories.
Make and share this Shrimp With Black Beans, Okra & Fresh Corn recipe from Food.com.
- 226.79 g medium shrimp, cooked and tails removed (71-90 count)
- 14.79 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 453.59 g fresh okra, rinsed and cut into slices about 1/2-inch thick
- 2 (907.18 g) can black beans, undrained
- 226.79 g can tomato sauce
- 118.29 ml fresh corn kernels (cut from one medium ear of fresh corn)
- 236.59 ml water
- 236.59 ml brown rice, cooked according to package directions (yields 2 cooked cups)
- 29.58 ml cilantro, finely chopped
- 118.29 ml onion, finely chopped
- Heat large saute pan on stove at medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, add olive oil and garlic. Saute for a minute, then add okra, tomato sauce and water. Reduce heat to low, cover and allow to simmer for 10 minutes, until okra becomes softened. Add black beans. Cover, cook on low another 5 minutes. Add corn kernels. Cover and cook on low another 5 to 10 minutes until corn cooks. Uncover and add cooked rice, mixing to blend inches Remove from heat and add cooked shrimp. Top with finely chopped cilantro and onion, if desired.
I made some significant changes to the recipe and my review is based on those changes. This is really a very quick dish especially if the rice is precooked. I used fresh garden okra, 1 can on black beans and 1 cup of cooked brown rice. I also added in some Cajun seasoning and with leftovers served it with Tabasco sauce. The recipe with my changes took less than 30 minutes to prepare and easily served 4 with a side salad.