Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Here is a simple and delicious recipe I found in All Through the Seasons...Gooseberry Patch cookbook. I added a few things but it's pretty much the same. I have used half-n-half for the heavy cream and it's works out fine. Serve it with a green salad and bread makes for a complete meal.
- 1 (6 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend, uncooked
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 jalapeno, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 8 ounces package sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp, cooked, peeled and cleaned medium size
- 1⁄4 cup toasted almond, sliced
- Prepare wild rice mix according to package directions.
- Saute onion, green pepper, and garlic in butter in a large skillet until tender. Add mushrooms, jalapenos, hot pepper sauce and salt and pepper and saute for 2-3 minutes, remove from heat. Add cream and rice; cool slightly. Add shrimp, mixing well, and pour into a buttered 11" x 7" baking dish; top with almonds.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Very nice dish. I used Great Valley Rice Medley from Costco, which I cooked in vegetable broth. Also didn't pre-cook the shrimp, since they were going to be in a hot oven for 30 minutes. They would have been over cooked. Used 1/2 and 1/2 instead of cream and had to use up a orange pepper. :)