Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
from "kitchenella" - http://kitchenella.wordpress.com/2010/06/21/shrimp-veracruz/
Make and share this Shrimp Veracruz recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 1 lime, juice of
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 6 roma tomatoes, chopped
- cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, oregano to taste
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro
- Combine shrimp, lime juice, salt, and pepper in a bowl, toss to coat. Don’t use your hands if you have a paper cut. You’ll see. Let it soak while you’re chopping the other stuff, about 15 minutes. Unload the dishwasher if you have extra time, showoff.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Saute onion and pepper for 3 minutes. Add garlic, then saute until tender.
- Add the jalapeno, broth, tomatoes, spices, and simmer on medium-low for about 10 minutes. Taste it every so often, and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Dump in the shrimp, juice and all. Mix the cornstarch and water, and add that too. Bring it all to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the shrimp are done.
- Stir in cilantro, reserving a few sprigs for garnish.
- Serve over rice.