This recipe is from The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes. It is nice and flavorful and has one of my favorite components--quick. I made this with the tomatoes that have added chili; however, it can also be made with regular dice cut tomatoes. Hope you enjoy. Serve this with fresh bread and a side salad for a quick weeknight dinner.
- 1 -2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 1 lime, cut in wedges
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Saute the onion and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes; add tomatoes with liquid and the jalapeno pepper; simmer approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook until the shrimp turn pink, approximately 3 to 4 minutes.
- In a small dish, combine the cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water and stir to blend; whisk into the skillet and stir until the sauce thickens, about 1 minute then stir in the cilantro.
- Divide the rice among 4 bowls, and top with equal portions of the shrimp and vegetable mixture.
- Garnish each dish with lime wedges and serve.
Quick and simple, this made a delicious supper for DH and I with very little effort. Made exactly as directed, using canned tomatoes with chillies added, we enjoyed the spice that makes itself felt without overwhelming. I served it on spaghetti, though it would go equally well on rice, very very good, Paula! Thank you for this one.
This was an awsome dish. We all loved it including my 4 yo. I servedit over brown rice and used regular diced tomatoes and 1 jalapeno.
this review is way overdue , i've made this twice. the first time, last summer, i made it exactly but added some cumin and chili powder. i also used spicy basil instead of cilantro. i made it again last night using the same additions, but using fresh grown peppers and tomatoes, this is a perfect summer meal. sorry this review is so late in coming, this is a very good recipe.