Recipe by Leopard Apron
Lots of bold, robust flavors, I serve this over a bed of angel hair pasta, topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Top Review by SkinnyMinnie
This dish has TONS of great flavors!! All of them together is heaven!! I did not have any prosciutto, so I used 2 slices of plain ol bacon. It tasted wonderful anyway!! Thank you for sharing this YUMMY dish with us!!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄3 cup yellow sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, sliced diagonally 1/3-inch thick
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced lengthwise, then cut into 1-inch strips
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 slices prosciutto, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup white wine (I used a Pinot Grigio)
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled (with tails left on)
- 16 ounces angel hair pasta
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch five-pepper medley
- fresh basil leaf, cut up. reserve some basil (to garnish, I used 12)
- freshly ground sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat, add butter to melt. Add trinity (onion, celery, red pepper)and saute gently for a few minutes until aromatic. Lower heat and add garlic and prosciutto, cooking a minute more. Carefully add wine, and cook until liquid has nearly evaporated. Remove from pan and hold.
- In same pan, add a splash of olive oil and heat, adding shrimp. Cook until heated through and pink. Do not overcook! Remove from heat.
- In large saucepan, add half & hslf, butter and trinity mixture. Bring just to boil, then reduce heat and gently simmer, stirring occasionally to allow sauce to slightly thicken.
- Meanwhile, bring water to boild for pasta. Add angel hair and cook approximately 4 minutes (al dente). Drain, reserving 1/2 c pasta water. Toss pasta with some of the pasta water and cover to keep warm.
- When sauce is slightly thickened (about 10 minutes), add parmesan cheese, ground peppers and chopped basil, salting to taste. As sauce is thickening, add cooked shrimp to heat through.
- Place angel hair pasta on plates, spooning sauce over pasta and topping with freshly grated parmesan & garnish with a pinch of chopped basil.