Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
America's Test Kitchen
- 4 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans hominy, rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- lime wedge, for serving
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425°.
- Spread tortilla strips on rimmed baking sheet and toss with 1 tablespoon oil.
- Bake until strips are deep golden brown and crisp, 12-14 minutes, tossing strips halfway through baking.
- Season with salt to taste and transfer to paper towel-lined plate.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in Dutch oven over med-high heat until shimmering.
- Add onion and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and chipotle and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add broth, hominy, and tomatoes and bring to simmer.
- Decrease heat to low, cover, and simmer until flavors meld, about 15 minutes.
- Working in batches, process soup in blender until smooth, 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer pureed soup to clean pot and bring to simmer.
- Add shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, until opaque in center, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro and lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls and top with tortilla strips.
- Serve, passing lime wedges separately.