Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Adapted from Cooking Club of America.
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped and divided
- 1 lb uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- Cut tortillas into thin strips.
- Heat vegetable oil in a shallow medium skillet until temperature reaches 350ºF.(Oil is ready for frying when bubbles form around edges of dry wooden spoon placed in center of hot oil.).
- Add tortilla strips in small batches; cook 2-3 min or until golden brown and crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat until hot.
- Add bell peppers and onion; cook 5 min or until wilted and tender, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic, cumin and chili powder; cook and stir 1 min, being careful not to burn spices.
- Add tomatoes and simmer 5 min to reduce the liquid slightly.
- Add broth and all but 3 Tbs. of the cilantro. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer 2-3 minute.
- About 5 min before serving, add shrimp to simmering soup. Cook 3 min or until shrimp turn pink, stirring frequently.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Divide tortilla strips into 4 large bowls. Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with remaining cilantro.
- Serve with lime wedges.