Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I love the shrimp toast I get at my local oriental restaurant, and wanted to make it at home. I asked the server if she knew how to make it and she sent the chef out to tell me. I tried it today, and it tasted just like at the restaurant. Hope you enjoy this one too!!
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 4 water chestnuts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 6 slices white bread, thinly sliced
- oil (for frying)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- Mince shrimp.
- Add water chestnuts, salt, sugar, 1 Tbls.
- cornstarch and 1 egg.
- Beat egg white and blend in 1 Tbls.
- Remove crusts from bread and cut into 4 triangles.
- Brush one side of bread with egg white mixture and then shrimp past.
- Fry shrimp side down in 375degree F.
- oil until golden.
- Carefully turn and brown bread side.
- Serve hot.
Just finished the second batch, the first one was such a hit my wife requested them again the next day. I found that if I put them in the frig for about 15 minutes before frying they were easier to handle. I also discovered that I can make them ahead of time and put them in the frig and then place them up on a cookie sheet and heat them in a 400 oven for 20 minutes, they come out perfect. I can see that I wll be making these alot! Thanks.
This is as close as you can get to really authentic Shrimp Toast. Made it twice already and it is terrific. I used my food processor to mince the shrimp into a paste, otherwise followed the recipe. Will make again and again. Thank you Blue
I LOVE THESE TOO! It's dim sum and not many places have even HEARD of Shrimp Toast! This is a great recipe.. my old additions are chopped green onions and a Tbsp oyster sauce. Thanks for sharing!!