1 hr 45 mins
Shrimp get a wake-up call from a bold spice paste that really packs a punch. A brief 30-minute swim in the marinade imbues the shrimp with intense flavor—jalapeno, ginger, and garlic lend heat, while garam masala contributes depth. Sparkle comes from a splash of lime juice. Think of the mango chutney as a fresh Indian salsa; it's crunchy, colorful, tart, and very refreshing. Gourmet Magazine, June 2008 edition.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 inch piece fresh jalapeno, chopped (about 2 tsp)
- 1 inch piece peeled gingerroot, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, smashed
- 2 teaspoons ground garam masala
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 lbs large shrimp, in shell peeled, leaving tail fan attached
- 1Puree all ingredients for marinating shrimp, except shrimp, with 1/2 tsp salt in a blender until smooth.
- 2Pour into a sealable bag, then add shrimp and marinate at cool room temperature, turning bag occasionally, 30 minutes.
- 3Make chutney while shrimp marinate:
- 4Toast cumin in a dry small skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- 5Stir together remaining chutney ingredients with 1/4 tsp salt, then sprinkle with toasted cumin.
- 6Make kebabs:.
- 7Prepare grill for direct-heat cooking over hot charcoal (medium-high heat for gas);.
- 8Thread 4 shrimp onto each skewer, leaving small spaces between them. Put on a tray.
- 9Oil grill rack, then grill skewers, covered only if using a gas grill, turning once, until just cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes total.
- 10Serve with chutney.
- 11•Shrimp can be cooked in a hot well-oiled large (2-burner) ridged grill pan, turning once, about 8 minutes total.
- 12•Marinade can be made 1 day ahead and chilled.
- 13•Chutney can be made 6 hours ahead and chilled.
Browse Our Top Mango Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp Tikka With Fresh Mango Chutney
Serving Size: 1 (270 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 294.0
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 230.4 mg
- Sodium 228.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 31.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: