Prep 15 mins
Cook 17 mins
Creamy shrimp goodness.
- 2 lbs raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots or 3 tablespoons scallions
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shrimp cooking water
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oben to 425 degrees F.
- Simmer the shrimp in boiling salted water for 3-5 minutes until shrimp just turn pink.
- Drain, reserving 1 c of the liquid.
- Set aside.
- Simmer water in the bottom of a double boiler.
- Melt the butter in the top of a double boiler (directly on the heat) and stir fry shallots until limp.
- Add flour, salt, mustard and pinch cayenne pepper, stir until blended.
- Add the milk and shrimp cooking water and heat, stirring constantly until smooth and thickened.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Vigourly stir 1 c of sauce into the yolks until well blended.
- Add mixture to sauce in pan and put the top of the double boiler over the simmering water in the bottom.
- Stir sauce for 1-2 minutes to completely cook the egg yolks.
- Spoon 1/2- 3/4 c of the sauce in an ungreased 2 quart au gratin dish or shallow casserole.
- Arrange shrimp in sauce and cover with remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake uncovered 10-15 minutes, until hot but not boiling.
- Broil 6" from heat for 1-2 minutes to brown.
- Serve with rice.
This was a very good recipe we both enjoyed it.
Good comfort food. Easy to make and will make again. I will add less salt next time, should have tasted first before adding 3/4 tsp. Served over rice.