Recipe by vbeaux
Ready, Set, Cook! Hidden Valley Contest Entry. While traveling in Mexico with our 4 small children, we sampled many different types of tacos – it seemed that each Mexican city that we visited had its own special flavors and fillings. Our favorites were the shrimp tacos – sometimes spicy, sometimes sweet. We ate them topped with so many inventive salsas made from fruits like mango, pineapple or tomato to veggies like cucumbers or any of the infinite types of peppers available in Mexico, to the very simple shrimp tacos heaped with fresh herbs or avocado. Back home, I began toying with shrimp tacos and have served them dozens of ways. This version is a favorite among family and friends and is very adaptable and super easy to do for a crowd – that’s always fun!
- 4 garlic cloves (divided, 3 sliced thinly lengthwise)
- 7 tablespoons chopped shallots (divided)
- 2 chipotle peppers (from a can of chiles in adobo)
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce (from a can of chiles in adobo)
- 3⁄4 cup Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Dressing
- 1⁄2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 limes, juice and zest of
- salt and pepper
- 5 tablespoons fresh chives, snipped with scissors (divided)
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1⁄4 medium red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 cup corn kernel
- 1 ripe avocado, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4 dice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 12 tortillas, for serving
- fresh chives (to garnish)
- chopped cilantro (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the Chipotle Ranch Dressing: Chop 1 clove garlic and 2 tbs shallots in the bowl of a food processor for a few seconds before adding a chipotle pepper and 1 tbs. adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo. Process for 30 seconds; add the Hidden Valley Original Ranch Dressing, Greek Yogurt, zest and juice of a lime and process until smooth. Turn out into a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Stir 2 tbs. snipped chives.
- Toss the shredded cabbage with the red onion and about ½ cup of the Chipotle Ranch Dressing. Season with Salt and Pepper. Set aside to wilt a little and develop flavor while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- In another bowl, combine the corn, avocado, red and jalapeno peppers, cilantro, zest and juice of one lime, 2 tbs minced shallots and a tablespoon of fresh chives. Season with Salt and Pepper.
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan over medium high heat and cook 3 tbs. shallots for a minute or two before adding the sliced garlic, cook for 30 seconds before adding the shrimp. Cook until the shrimp are pink, curled and cooked through. Remove from heat and toss shrimp mixture with ¼ Cup of the Chipotle Ranch Dressing and 2 tbs chives.
- Heat the tortillas by laying them directly in the grate of a gas burner and turning every 20 seconds or so until soft and heated and showing some char marks.
- To serve, spoon some shrimp onto a tortilla, top with a few spoons of the Corn and Avocado Salsa and a few spoons of the slaw. Slaw. Drizzle with some more Chipotle Ranch Dressing and garnish with fresh chives and cilantro.