Recipe by cookiedog
These are beer battered shrimp tacos that will knock your socks off! The recipe includes directions for making an avocado sauce and a Mayonnesa Secret Sauce.Make sure you have all the sauces and condiments prepared before you start frying up your shrimp. All you need to do now is grab an ice cold beer and get cookin and you'll be in Baja with your first bite!
- 2 lbs best-quarity large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 lime
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup rice flour (available at Latin or Asian Markets)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried whole Mexican oregano, rubbed to a powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) bottlecold beer, plus more
- beer, to thin the batter if necessary
- vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 ripe avocado, peeled
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 3 drops of freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 -2 tablespoon water or 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- 2 fresh fresh cilantro stems, stemmed and chopped (optional)
Mayonesa Secret Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise or 1⁄2 cup lime mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons water or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons milk
- fresh corn tortilla, warmed
- salsa, de chiles de arbol or bottled hot sauce
- shredded iceberg lettuce or green cabbage
- pico de gallo
- diced red onion, mixed with chopped
- fresh cilantro (optional)
- lime wedge
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut each shrimp into two or three pieces, Spritz a little lime over the shrimp to moisten- don't overdo it - and refrigerate.
- Make the batter: Combine the flour and seasonings in a bowl and mix thoroughly with a whisk. Add the beer all at once, whishk until smooth, and set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Pour the oil into a deep, wide pan to a depth of 2 inches and heat over medium-high heat to 365 degrees.
- Check the batter; it should be a thick coating consistency. If it seems too thick, add beer, water, or milk, 1 teaspoons at a time, until the right consistency is achieved. It's better to be slightly too thick than too thin!
- Pat the shrimp dry and add to the batter. Fish out a ew pieces at a time and fry until golden brown. Drain the shrimp on paper towels.
- To prepare hold a tortilla in your hand and add a spoonful of avocado sauce (directions for sauce are in the following step). Add the shrimp, a squeeze of secret sauce (recipe follows), and a healthy shot of hot salsa. Top with lettuce, pico de gallo, and onion and cilantro. Squeeze lime over the whole thing.
- Avocado Sauce: Place the avocado, salt, and lime juice ina blender or small food processor. Add 1 tablespoon water and pulse. Add more liquid as necessary to make a sauce the consistency of thick cream. Add the cilantro and pulse again just to blend. Taste for seasoning; it should be a little bland.
- Mayonesa Secret Sauce: Place the mayonnaise in a bowl and use a fork to slowly stir in vinegar to taste. Add water to loosen to the consistency of thick cream.