Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a recipe that comes from Cooking Light Magazine. It seemed like a LONG list of ingredients to me, but took no time at all. I had everything on hand too which made it easy. It is light and refreshing. I have added some chopped avocado tossed in a little lime juice and that just makes it a little better for me....everything is better with avocado!! I would let the shrimp cool after cooking or place in an ice bath before adding the avocado. The heat almost melts the avocado. Might not look very good but tastes terrific!! Even pleased the picky palate of my DSS. Times are approximate, but this doesn't take long.
- 3 tablespoons peppercorns
- 3 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 limes, quartered
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno, minced and seeded
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 3⁄4 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- Place the peppercorns on a double layer of cheesecloth. Gather edges of cheesecloth together, and tie securely.
- Combine cheesecloth bag, water, salt, red pepper, and lime quarter in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; cook for 2 minute.
- Add shrimp; cook 2 min or until they turn pink and look done. Do not walk away or you will over cook them.
- Drain and discard cheesecloth bag and lime quarters.
- Combine shrimp, cilantro, lime juice, and jalapeño pepper, tossing well to coat.
- Heat tortillas according to package directions.
- Spoon 1/3 cup shrimp mixture into each tortilla. Top with tomato, sour cream, and green onions.
These tacos were such a treat! I'd agree with SkinnyMinnie that the long list of ingredients seems a little daunting, but the recipe really only takes a few minutes to put together. I wouldn't change a thing about the recipe (except maybe for adding the avocado, as suggested...sounds tasty!). Thanks for sharing a delicious and speedy recipe.