Recipe by thepitclub
Delicious, and often requested, Stuffed Mushroom recipe. I usually serve as a side dish with grilled sirloin steaks.
Top Review by mschuff_12207145
Since I had made more than enough quinoa as a side dish, I used it instead of the bread crumbs. This is great for leftover proteins, not just shrimp. I tossed in some diced chicken along with the shrimp. Very flexible recipe... You can delete the animal protein and use tempeh or tofu for a vegetarian meal.Thank you thepitclub for the recipe!
- 5 large portabella mushrooms
- 1⁄2 lb raw shrimp (cleaned and roughly chopped)
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese (softened)
- 1 red bell pepper (finely diced)
- 1 onion (finely diced)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided into two half cups
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- nonstick cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Remove stems from mushroom caps and dice stems, set aside.
- Carefully scrape away the dark gills from the bottoms of the mushroom caps and discard.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add shrimp, onion, chopped stems and bell pepper to skillet, sauteing until shrimp is pink and other ingredients are softened, being careful not to overcook the shrimp (shrimp will get rubbery if overcooked).
- Remove mixture from heat and place in a large mixing bowl (do not drain liquid).
- Add cream cheese to mixture and stir well.
- Then add all other ingredients, except mushroom caps and one half cup shredded cheddar cheese, and mix well.
- Spray an 8x11 glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Carefully stuff the mushroom caps with stuffing mixture and place into baking dish.
- Evenly spread remaining half cup of cheddar cheese over stuffed caps.
- Place dish into preheated oven, and bake for apx. 45 minutes to one hour.